Jun 18, 2014

Real Moms, Real Fashion: Ellie!


Welcome to another special edition of Real Moms, Real Fashion!  In RMRF I interview moms of all sorts about their fashion and style!  You don't have to be a fashion blogger to join the fun (although if you are, that's great, too!)  Today's interview is with one of my bloggy friends Ellie, who writes over at the blog Creative Geekery!  She also just started the fabulous group Blog Buzz 2 Go!


1. How do you define your style?

Casual and relaxed. If we have a party to go to or my husband and I are heading out for a date night, I like to slick things up but on a day to day basis I like to look cute but feel comfortable. I am super lucky to work from home as a graphic designer (and a blogger!) so I have a lot more leeway in terms of what I can wear. No skirt suits for this girl (are those even a thing anymore?)!


2. What is your favorite outfit?

Most days you will find me in mid-rise fitted jeans, a tank top, and a v-neck. My favorite v-neck is a hot pink hand-printed tee created by a friend at Red Bridge Studio (see photo above). It is one-of-a-kind and the fact that a friend made it just makes me love it that much more!

One of my girlfriends told me she hasn't worn a tee shirt without a tank top under it since she has had kids! I love this advice. It just helps "smooth" things out a little. Also I love my mid-rise jeans to help keep the belly (AKA my buddha) contained. Low rise jeans are super cute but after two c-sections, they just don't work for me! In the summer you will find me in flip flops, sandals or my Sanuks.


 3. What store would you pick for an unlimited shopping spree?

Ooooooh! Such a fun question. I think it would be J. Crew. I only have a few pieces from there because they are so expensive but they are such high quality and totally timeless.

4. How has your fashion changed since becoming a mom?

The first few years after I had my boys were rough. We didn't have much money so my clothes budget was close to zero. I didn't realize it at the time but now when I look back at pictures and see what I was wearing I have to wonder what I was thinking! HA! Now that my boys are a little older and our budget isn't as tight I try to treat myself to nice pieces here and there that will stand the test of time.

5. What advice would you give other moms on fashion?

Don't worry about the latest trends. Like I said before, if you have had a c-section, low rise jeans are probably not going to be your best friend. Go for a pair mid-rise that hug your butt well! No more mom jeans! Go through your drawers and your closet and PARE DOWN. Donate (or sell!) what you don't love. That way when you are in a rush, you can just grab jeans and a top and know that you will love what you are wearing.


6. Where does your fashion inspiration come from?

I really love the classics with a few fun pieces thrown in so "window" shopping on Gap and J. Crew's websites definitely inspires me. I also follow some fashion bloggers on Instagram. These ladies were born with a fashion gene that I do NOT have!

I try to pick up basics from Target because they have such great prices. My new favorite piece (ok three pieces. I bought it in three colors!) is a v-neck tank top with a lightly-padded built-in bra from the undies section at Target. It is a great piece for layering and looks cute on its own, too!


7. Anything else you'd like to add?

Have some fun with accessories. I rarely buy expensive pieces but I do have a few. I have this amazing brown feathered headband from Ma Petite Lulu that immediately makes any outfit super fun. I also have a faux fur vest that I like to pair with jeans and my cowboy boots in the fall. I also just picked up a pair of sparkly gold bow earrings from a little boutique in town. They make me smile.

Thanks for the great interview Ellie!  Please check out her awesomeness:

blog: www.creative-geekery.com
pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/creativegeekery/
instagram: http://instagram.com/creativegeekery

Are you interested in being interviewed for Real Moms, Real Fashion?  Shoot me an email and let me know!

This month's super sponsor:


1 comment :

  1. I love these outfits - they look so cute and comfortable!

    Sarah
    aroseinthecity0.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! You rock!
I try to respond to all my comments. I respond via email, so if you are a "no-reply" commenter, you might not get my response!