Jan 7, 2014

Embracing "Yes"


I guess at times I can be a bit stubborn and especially when it comes to doing things the way I think I am "supposed" to do them or the expectations I put on myself for what I should be getting done!  A lot of times my husband will ask me if  I need help or what he can do to help and I almost always respond with saying that I don't need help.  Which is usually true.  Most of the time.  (see, told you I am stubborn!)

Truthfully, I felt as a mom that there are so many things I can and should be doing, but it's hard sometimes to accept that you just can't do all the things, all the time!  Sometimes it's okay to accept help and embrace saying yes!


A few weeks ago we were getting ready to go to Florida for the holidays.  I was beyond stressed but I didn't want to admit it!  "I've got this together" I kept telling myself.  On Tuesday I had yet to pack one thing or wrap one present.  Our flight left on Wednesday morning!  My husband was supposed to go out of town for work but came home early because of weather and meetings being cancelled so he was home that day!  

Between laundry, Carter crying and trying to eat lunch he said "why don't I watch Carter for as long as you need and you can go pack and do whatever you need to do?"  And I hesitated.  I almost said "no, no it's fine I can do it with Carter in the room, no big deal!"  After all, he wasn't even supposed to be home that day!

Instead of my normal response I thought for a moment and said "SURE!"  I mean, why wouldn't I accept the help I obviously needed?  It would take half the time (or less!) to pack and do everything if I didn't have Carter trying to "help," too!  Sometimes, as a mom, it's nice to accept help!

So that's my tip to all you other moms out there!  Embrace the "yes!"  Sometimes we put ridiculously high expectations on ourselves, but, you don't have to do it all yourself! 

Do you have a hard time accepting help as a mom?  Do you feel like you should be able to "do it all?"

 
Welcome to Time for Mom, the best parenting link up around!  Time for Mom is a place to link up your post related to anything parenting each week!  We like to make it our Tuesday post, but you can link up another recent post if you'd like!

This week's Featured Blogger is Trish from Everyday Trish!
Everyday Trish

Last week Trish linked up a very touching and inspiring post about her "One Resolution."  Be sure to check it out and then come back here and link up your post for this week's round of Time for Mom!

Share Time for Mom on Twitter!



Link up here!







This month's super sponsor:


5 comments :

  1. I agree. I make a point though everyday when Ken comes home from work he tells me to go up stairs and he takes Evie for about an hour. I think it makes a difference when someone "tells" a mom he's helping vs. "asks" a mom how he can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a mom, but I know this is something my sister still struggles with. Hell, even before she had PJ, she never asked for help. But I sit back and watch her try to do ALL THE THINGS and never ask for help. It's OK to ask for help, it doesn't make you weak, or a bad mom. Quite the opposite, in fact!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to try to do it all. I used to hate to ask for help. But truthfully it's been beaten out of me after kiddo #2! Now I ask for help all the time, and gladly accept it! Any break I can get is good for the entire household!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I have this problem too! I have gotten a littlr better at accepting help when it's offered but as far as asking for help? No way! I've even asked for help before but felt guilty so I told the person I would handle it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! You rock!
I try to respond to all my comments. I respond via email, so if you are a "no-reply" commenter, you might not get my response!